OpenVPN GP4 (en)
|- in Deutsch||- in English|
After the installation of the plugin, an easy configurable OpenVPN Server or Client is available. The OpenVPN uses certificates used for Servern-Multi-Client setups and an encrypted TLS connection.
The OpenVPN Server can be configured for Bridge (tap) or Tunnel (tun) Mode.
- In Bridge mode a virtual network interface (tap0) is created, which is connected over a network bridge (br0) with the internal network adapter (eth0) of the Dreambox. One or more OpenVPN clients get an IP address of the internal network and can access all available services without additional routing.
- In Tunnel Mode the client only has a connection to the OpenVPN server of the Dreambox. A virtual IP will be assigned for each client according to the subnet (
10.128.0.0/24) which is defined in the server configuration. The OpenVPN server uses the IP address
10.128.0.1. Access to the internal network is not possible by default, but can be enabled by IP forwarding and routing.
- 1 Requirments for the usage
- 2 OpenVPN Server
- 3 Modify OVPN.zip configuration
- 4 OpenVPN client
- 5 Block certifikates
Requirments for the usage
- OpenVPN Server must be configured and startet.
- The OpenVPN Server only supports wired network (no WLAN).
- Portforwarding on the router towards the Dreambox (port 1194/UDP)
- To connect to the Server, the WAN IP must be known, or a DDNS Service should be configured (e.g. No-IP).
- Certificates need to be created for each client (OVPN Package).
- OpenVPN needs to be installed on all clients. Protocols such as IPSec, IKE, PPTP, or L2TP are not supported.
- Server LAN and Client LAN must be different.
Configure the OpenVPN Server as follows:
Configure OpenVPN Server
- Start the OpenVPN Server plugin.
- Select the required Mode and the amount of clients with MENU → Settings. When using the Bridge Mode, an IP Range for the clients can be set. If the OpenVPN Server should be available after a reboot of the Dreambox, enable the setting Start Automatically.
- In Bridge Mode, an additional IP range for the clients can be defined.
- In Tunnel Mode, it's possible to define the local network (detected automatically). Serves as Push of the network towards the VPN clients, if the complete internal network needs to be accessible.
Open the certificate settings with the yellow button. Add with the green button the following certificates:
- Root certificate. Define a password, validity period ... as wanted.
- Server certificate. Enter the previously defined password and the validity period.
- Finally the User certificate will be created. Enter the previously defined password and the validity period and a name for the client.
|Creation of the Diffie-Hellman key|
After the creation of the Server certificate, a Diffie Hellman key is generated in background. Please be patient, this process can take up to 15 minutes (depending of the Dreambox model).
Create OVPN Package for the client
Open the certificate setting with the yellow button. Select the different clients and create the OpenVPN archives with the yellow button. The archive contain the configuration files and certificates, which will be needed to setup the clients. The zip archives are saved in:
Start / Stop the OpenVPN Server
Start the OpenVPN Server with the green button. red stops the OpenVPN Server.
- Configuration files and certificates of the OpenVPN Server are saved in
- When the OpenVPN Server is running, the menu Settings is not available.
- Connected clients will be visible after an interval of 60 seconds.
- Use the MENU button to display a log file.
- The routing tabel can be opened with the MENU button.
- To delete all certificates, use the MENU button in the certificate menu.
OpenVPN Server Screenshots
Modify OVPN.zip configuration
Double click the
xxx-ovpn.zip archive and open the config file *.ovpn. Edit the entry
remote... with your OpenVPN Server address and Port.
#example remote foobar.org 1194 #example remote 184.108.40.206 1194 remote my.server.address.com 12345
Copy the modified archive onto the client Dreambox e.g. in the
- Start the OpenVPN client plugin.
- Push the yellow button and select the
xxx-ovpn.zipe.g. in the
/tmpmap. Startt the import with the green button.
- After reopening the OpenVPN clients once more, the imported client entry is appears.
Start / Stop the OpenVPN clients
Start the OpenVPN Client with the green button. red will stop the OpenVPN client.
If the connection should be started automatically, push the MENU button and activate Automatic start.
- Configuration files and certificates of the OpenVPN client are stored in
- Client status is shown after an interval of 10 seconds.
- The Log file can be openen with the MENU button.
- Das Anzeigen einer Routing Tabelle ist via Taste MENU möglich.
OpenVPN Client Screenshots
Certificates can be blocked, to disable the connection from a client. Open the certificate settings with the yellow button and select the client you want to block. Disable the certificate with the red button.